Air Fryer Chimichangas
Now you can have chimichangas just as crispy as deep frying, minus the calories. Plus they are quick to make in an air fryer and perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. Top with salsa, sour cream, avocado, and cheese.
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- cook: 20 minutes
- total: 35 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Yield: 6 servings
Ingredients for Air Fryer Chimichangas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- ½ (8 ounce) package Neufchatel cheese, softened
- 1 (4 ounce) can hot fire-roasted diced green chiles (such as Ortega®)
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ tablespoons chicken taco seasoning mix (such as McCormick®)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend, or to taste
- avocado oil cooking spray
Directions for Air Fryer Chimichangas
- Heat oil in a medium skillet. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add chicken, Neufchatel cheese, diced chiles, chicken broth, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until mixture is well combined and Neufchatel has softened been incorporated.
- Heat tortillas in a large skillet or directly on grates of a gas stove until soft and pliable. Place 1/3 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla and top with a heaping tablespoon of Mexican cheese.
- Fold top and bottom of tortillas over the filling, then roll each into a burrito shape. Mist with cooking spray and place in the basket of an air fryer.
- Air fry at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 4 to 6 minutes. Flip each chimichanga over, mist with cooking spray, and air fry until lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes more.
Regular cream cheese can be used in place of Neufchatel cheese.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
455 calories; protein 24.8g; carbohydrates 41g; fat 20.6g; cholesterol 69.8mg; sodium 1291.5mg.