Air Fryer Scotch Eggs
When you make Scotch eggs in your air fryer, you get to skip the mess that can come with deep frying food and still get the full enjoyment of delicious scotch eggs. They make the perfect breakfast or snack, especially when served with the chutney dipping sauce.
Scotch Eggs are a popular fast food that is mainly found in Scotland but is generally available across the UK. It is made out of a soft-boiled egg encased in sausage meat, coated in breadcrumbs and then deep-fried to perfection. Scotch Eggs can be delicious, but they are generally seen as unhealthy. So, in this scotch egg air fryer recipe, we present you with a better alternative that is both low in calories and low in carbs.
The Perfect Scotch Egg Air Fryer Recipe
If you love food but hate cooking then an air fryer is a must have kitchen appliance for you. It has the ability to cook tasty food with a crisp and crunch that is just unbelievable. One of the best dishes that an air fryer can cook is eggs and what better than to use it to make scotch eggs.
Nowadays, people are increasingly interested in following a healthy diet and eating low fat foods. Most of us have busy lives and are constantly on the run. Having delicious and healthy food to eat without the hassle of preparing it sounds perfect. One of the best ways to eat healthy is by cooking your food in an air fryer. Air fryers make it easy to cook many types of delicious food, including scotch eggs.
Cook the eggs to your liking; either hard-boiled or slightly soft, you can’t go wrong. You can find mango chutney in the Indian section of your grocery store.
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- cook: 15 minutes
- total: 30 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Yield: 6 servings
Ingredients for Air Fryer Scotch Eggs
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney (such as Patak’s®)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon curry powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (Optional)
Scotch Eggs for Air Fryer Scotch Eggs
- 1 pound pork sausage (such as Jimmy Dean®)
- 6 eggs, hard-boiled and shelled
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- cooking spray
- Combine yogurt, chutney, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, curry powder, and cayenne in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Divide pork sausage into 6 even portions. Flatten each portion into a thin patty. Place one egg in the middle and wrap the sausage around the eggs, sealing all sides. Set eggs aside on a plate.
- Preheat air fryer to 390 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place flour into a small bowl and beaten eggs into another small bowl. Place panko bread crumbs onto a plate. Dip each sausage-wrapped egg into flour, then dip into beaten egg, letting the excess drip off. Roll in bread crumbs and place onto a plate.
- Spray basket of the air fryer with cooking spray and place eggs into the basket. Do not overcrowd; cook in batches if necessary. Cook for 12 minutes, turning eggs over halfway through. Repeat with remaining eggs. Serve with dipping sauce.
If you prefer a smoother dipping sauce, use a mini food processor and blend. If you like a lot of sauce, make a double batch.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
407 calories; protein 21.4g; carbohydrates 21.5g; fat 27.8g; cholesterol 284mg; sodium 944.9mg.