Braised Lamb Shanks
Today, we’ll be showing you how to cook braised lamb shanks. This is a great dish to make for a special occasion, or even just a cozy night in. Braising is a cooking method where you first sear the meat to get a nice crust, then cook it slowly in a covered pot with a little bit of liquid.
This results in the most tender, fall-off-the-bone lamb shanks you’ve ever had. We’ll be using a red wine and herb reduction to braise our lamb shanks, which adds an extra depth of flavor.
This succulent braised lamb shank dish is slow cooked in a red wine, tomato, and fresh basil sauce. The result is a tender, juicy, and flavorful lamb shank that pairs perfectly with the creamy mushroom risotto and grilled zucchini. This dish is sure to please any lamb lover!
Why You Will Love Braised Lamb Shanks
There are many reasons why we love braised lamb shanks. For one, they are incredibly tasty and juicy. Braising helps to tenderize the meat, making it incredibly succulent. Additionally, the braising process helps to infuse the lamb with all sorts of amazing flavors, from the herbs and spices used in the braising liquid, to the vegetables that are often added to the pot.
Braised lamb shanks is that they are relatively easy to prepare. Braising is a relatively hands-off cooking method, so once you’ve got everything in the pot, you can just let it simmer away until the lamb is cooked to perfection. This is the perfect dish for a busy weeknight when you don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen.
So, next time you’re looking for a delicious and easy-to-prepare dish, give braised lamb shanks a try. We think you’ll love them as much as we do!
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 3 hrs
- Total time: 3 hrs 20 minutes
- Servings: 4
Ingredient for Braised Lamb Shanks
- 2 large white onions, chopped
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
Directions for Braised Lamb Shanks
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2. Place the onions in a layer in the bottom of a Dutch oven or medium roasting pan with a lid. Arrange the lamb shanks on top of the onions.
- 3. Pour the wine, balsamic vinegar and olive oil over the lamb. Place a clove of pressed garlic next to each shank, and a quarter of a lemon on each side. Pour the tomatoes over everything, then season with salt, pepper and basil.
- 4. Cover and place in the preheated oven. Cook for 3 hours. Use juices from the pan to make a nice flavorful gravy.
- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories: 572.4
- % Daily Value *
- protein: 32.5g 65 %
- carbohydrates: 34.4g 11 %
- dietary fiber: 6.3g 25 %
- sugars: 17.9g
- fat: 25.2g 39 %
- saturated fat: 4.9g 25 %
- cholesterol: 86.3mg 29 %
- vitamin a iu: 2810.5IU 56 %
- niacin equivalents: 12.8mg 99 %
- vitamin b6: 0.5mg 29 %
- vitamin c: 67.6mg 113 %
- folate: 57.6mcg 14 %
- calcium: 202.7mg 20 %
- iron: 9.4mg 52 %
- magnesium: 71.1mg 25 %
- potassium: 1069.8mg 30 %
- sodium: 1851.3mg 74 %
- thiamin: 0.2mg 16 %
- calories from fat: 226.6