Carnitas Stuffed Poblano Peppers
These Carnitas stuffed poblano peppers are a flavorful dinner sensation! They are stuffed with a flavorful blend of carnitas, onions, and spices, and then baked to perfection. These peppers are a great way to spice up your dinner routine and are sure to please everyone at the table.
Roasted poblanos are filled with tender carnitas, refried beans, and shredded cheese. This dish is then topped with diced tomatoes, sour cream, and green onions. It is the perfect blend of Tex-Mex flavors that will leave you wanting more.
Why We Love This Recipe
Carnitas stuffed poblano peppers are one of our all-time favorite dishes. They’re flavorful, filling, and easy to make, which is why we always have them on rotation in our kitchen.
What we love most about carnitas stuffed poblano peppers is the combination of flavors and textures. The carnitas are juicy and packed with flavor, while the peppers add a slight smokiness and a touch of heat. The result is a dish that’s both delicious and satisfying.
Another reason we love carnitas stuffed poblano peppers is that they’re so versatile. You can serve them as a main course, or as a side dish. They’re also great for meal prep, as they reheat well and can be made ahead of time.
So, if you’re looking for a new favorite recipe, we highly recommend giving carnitas stuffed poblano peppers a try. We guarantee you won’t be disappointed!
There’s nothing quite like a big batch of carnitas stuffed poblano peppers, and leftovers are even better. The carnitas are juicy and flavorful, and the peppers are perfectly cooked. The leftovers are great for a quick lunch or dinner, and they’re even better when reheated.
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hrs 20 minutes
- Total Time: 8 hrs 40 minutes
- Servings: 4 servings
Ingredients for Carnitas
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder or butt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, de-seeded and finely diced
- 1 orange, juiced
Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- 1 ½ cups cooked carnitas
- ¾ cup black beans
- ¾ cup corn
- ¼ cup red onion
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, or more as desired
- 4 poblano peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Instructions for How To Make Carnitas
- In a small bowl stir together the oregano, cumin, black pepper, salt, and chili powder.
- Trim any excess fat from the pork shoulder (but remember that some fat is good), then rub the spice mixture generously around the entire pork shoulder and place in the slow cooker.
- Add the onion, minced garlic, jalapeno and orange juice in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on the low setting for 8-10 hours, or high heat for 5-6 hours (until the meat falls apart).
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker to a large cutting board and use two forks to shred the meat.
- Shredding the cooked pork shoulder.
How To Make Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Slice the poblano peppers in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Desseeding poblano peppers for carnitas stuffed peppers.
- Place the peppers in a baking dish or on a baking tray. Pre-cook just the peppers for about 15 minutes in the oven, or until they’ve started to soften.
- Roasted poblano peppers for carnitas stuffed poblano peppers.
- Meanwhile, make the filling by combining the carnitas, black beans, corn, and red onion in a bowl.
- Mixing the filling for carnitas stuffed poblano peppers.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and evenly divide the mixture between the peppers, then sprinkle with cheese. Cook the stuffed poblano peppers for an additional 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and they’re warmed through.
- To garnish, sprinkle with chopped cilantro before serving.
- This is a great slow cooker with a ceramic insert and it’s perfect for transporting!
Calories: 319kcal, Carbohydrates: 36g, Protein: 20g, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 53mg, Sodium: 621mg, Potassium: 415mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 18g, Vitamin A: 806IU, Vitamin C: 100mg, Calcium: 170mg, Iron: 2mg