- 1 Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 2 What’s in chicken tortilla soup?
- 3 Do I have to use boneless skinless chicken breasts?
- 4 How do I fry the tortilla strips?
- 5 What else can I top this soup with?
- 6 How long does the soup last?
- 7 Ingredients for making Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 8 Directions for making Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 9 More Recipe Suggestions
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Sure everyone loves chicken noodle soup. But to some of us here in the Delish Test Kitchen, there is nothing that soothes the soul and can warm you up (both figuratively and literally) like a big bowl of chicken tortilla soup.
The slight kick from the chili powder and the fire roasted tomatoes gives what could be a boring normal bowl of soup, a total face.
Also did we mention you get to top it with fresh tortilla strips, avocado and sour cream? Let’s see chicken noodle try to do that!
What’s in chicken tortilla soup?
Every recipe is likely to vary a little, but when it comes to the chicken tortilla soup ingredients we load ours up with more protein by adding black beans, vegetables (corn! bell peppers! onion!) and flavor with canned fire-roasted tomatoes, which we love for their smokiness. The tortillas get added as croutons!
Do I have to use boneless skinless chicken breasts?
No, it isn’t required to do this, you can cook this dish with the chicken skin. You can use a rotisserie chicken instead of skinless chicken breasts if you wish to. Using rotisserie chicken in soups is a classic technique to cut down on the cooking time. Just add the chicken to the soup, then ensure to add equal amounts to avoid over or under cooking your chicken tortilla soup.
The chicken should be added into the slow cooker and cooked until it is warm in order to preserve the taste, texture and quality. The heat also helps release the flavors, which is an important step in the process. And it’s much better than leftover chicken, which has already been microwaved or boiled!
How do I fry the tortilla strips?
It sounds like something fancy a restaurant would do, but it’s actually SO easy: Simply cut corn tortillas into small strips and cook them in about a tablespoon of olive oil until crispy.
Drain them on a paper towel-lined plate as you would bacon. Don’t forget to season them with salt 🙂
What else can I top this soup with?
We like to load it up with avocado, tortilla croutons, and sour cream, but really any of your favorite nacho fixings work. Try fresh jalapeños and thinly sliced radish!
How long does the soup last?
This soup can last up to five days in the refrigerator. It’s best to keep it in a sealed container that you can easily reheat when you’re ready to eat it. This soup has great tasting ingredients and can be eaten for various meals. You can have it for lunch, dinner, or even a snack!
Tried this recipe? Let us know how it came out in the comments below!
- Cal/Serv: 420
- Yields: 6
- Preparation Time: 0 hours 15 minutes
- Total Time: 5 hours 15 minutes
Ingredients for making Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed
- 1 c. frozen corn
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 15-oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 c. freshly chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 c. shredded Monterey jack
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 small corn tortillas, cut into strips
- Sliced avocado, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
Directions for making Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- In a large slow cooker, combine chicken, black beans, corn, peppers, onion, fire-roasted tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, and chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on low until chicken is cooked and falling apart, 5 to 6 hours.
- Shred chicken with a fork, then top soup with Monterey Jack and cover to let melt, 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, make tortilla crisps: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add tortilla strips and cook until crispy and golden, 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt.
- Serve soup topped with tortilla crisps, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, and lime.
More Recipe Suggestions
Thanks for visiting slowcookrecipe.com