Crock Pot Jambalaya
- Preparation Time 15 minutes
- Cook time 4 hours 20 minutes
- Serves 4 to 6
Ingredients for Crock Pot Jambalaya
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (12 ounce) package andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 4 sausage links)
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked parboiled long-grain white rice
- 3/4 pound raw large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Sliced scallions, for garnish
- Louisiana-style hot sauce (optional)
Directions for making Crock Pot Jambalaya
- Set the slow cooker to sauté setting and heat the oil until is shimmering. Add the onion, green bell pepper, and celery. Cook until the vegetables are softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste, fresh thyme, Creole seasoning, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Stir to combine. Turn off the sauté setting. (Note: If your slow cooker doesn’t have a sauté setting, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat to sauté the vegetables, herbs, and spices. Transfer to the slow cooker and proceed with the remaining steps.)
- Add the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, cubed chicken, and sliced sausage. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, or on high for 2 to 3 hours.
- After the time has passed and the chicken is cooked through, add the parboiled rice to the slow cooker. Cook on high for 20 minutes. Then add the shrimp to the slow cooker and cook on high for 10 minutes more or until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Top with chopped scallions for garnish. Serve with Louisiana hot sauce for additional heat, as desired.