Slow Cooked Red Wine Beef Stew
A rich French-style beef stew with red wine and vegetables. You’ll love the hearty flavors and it’s so easy to make in a Dutch oven, low and slow! Serve this stew with wide egg noodles or simply with crusty bread and a salad.
Serve the stew over wide egg noodles, parmesan polenta or with crusty bread alongside for hearty meal!
- Preparation Time 25 minutes
- Cook Time 2 hrs 30 minutes
- Total Time 2 hrs 55 minutes
- Course Meat
- Cuisine French
- Servings 6 servings
Ingredients for Slow Cooked Red Wine Beef Stew
- 3 pounds (1350 g) beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, or 1 ½ teaspoons table salt
- 3 tablespoons (45 g) olive oil
- 2-3 shallots, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons (45 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) tomato paste
- 4 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) hearty dry red wine, such as syrah, merlot or Cotes-du-Rhone
- 1-2 cups (250-500 ml) beef or chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves and 4 sprigs each thyme and rosemary, tied into a bundle with string
- 1 pound (459 g) carrots , peeled and sliced into 2-inch chunks
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, stems and tough outer layers trimmed, sliced into ½-inch wedges
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Instructions for making Slow Cooked Red Wine Beef Stew
- Heat oven to 350 (175C) degrees with the rack in the center.
- Prep the beef: Trim the meat of excess fat and slice into 3-inch chunks. Season evenly on all sides with 2 teaspoons salt.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy casserole over medium-high heat. Sear the beef in batches until browned. Remove to a platter.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the shallot to the pot. Cook 5 minutes, stirring every now and then, until softened. Return the beef to the pot and sprinkle with flour. Stir in the tomato paste, garlic, wine, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, then add enough broth to just cover the beef. Toss in the herb bundle. Cover the pot with a sheet of parchment or foil, then top with the pot lid.
- Place in the oven to braise for 2 ½-3 hours. The cooking liquid will be slightly reduced and the meat should fall apart when prodded with a fork.
Cook the vegetables
- Put the carrots, leeks, fennel and celery in a large skillet with ¼ cup water, 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place over high heat until the water boils. Lower heat to a simmer. Cover the pan and cook until the vegetables are tender but still colorful, about 10-12 minutes.
- To serve, stir the vegetables into the stew. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper as desired. Sprinkle with the parsley.
- Use a 5-6 quart capacity pot.
- The stew will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. When reheating, add a bit more stock or water to the stew as the sauce will thicken as it cools.
Nutrition’s for Slow Cooked Red Wine Beef Stew
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 631kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Sodium: 786mg | Potassium: 1329mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 13470IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 7mg