- 1 Slow-Cooker Chicken & White Bean Stew
- 2 Why We Love Slow-Cooker Chicken and White Bean Stew
- 3 Recipe Summary
- 4 Nutrition Profile:
- 5 Ingredients for Slow-Cooker Chicken & White Bean Stew
- 6 How to make Slow-Cooker Chicken & White Bean Stew
- 7 Tips for Slow-Cooker Chicken & White Bean Stew
- 8 Nutrition Facts for Slow-Cooker Chicken & White Bean Stew
- 9 Per Serving:
- 10 Exchanges:
Slow-Cooker Chicken & White Bean Stew
This load-and-go slow-cooker chicken recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. Simply add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker in the morning and let it do its magic! This dish is packed with flavor and is sure to please the whole family. Plus, it’s an easy way to get a healthy meal on the table without spending hours in the kitchen.
The broth of the stew is flavoured with garlic, onion, and a touch of white wine, and is thickened with a bit of flour. This results in a rich and flavourful soup that is perfect for a chilly winter day. The chicken and beans are hearty and filling, making this stew a complete meal in itself.
Why We Love Slow-Cooker Chicken and White Bean Stew
There are few things more comforting than a big pot of chicken and white bean stew simmering away on the stove. The slow cooker is the perfect tool for making this dish, as it allows the chicken and beans to slowly cook in the broth until they are fall-apart tender.
We love this stew because it is so easy to make, and can be easily modified to suit your taste. Plus, it reheats well, so you can enjoy it for days afterwards.
This Tuscan-inspired dish is best served with crusty bread, a glass of Chianti and a salad. The dish is full of flavorful ingredients like sun-dried tomatoes, olives, artichokes and garlic, and the bread and wine help to round out the meal. The salad provides a refreshing contrast to the other dishes, and the whole meal is sure to leave you satisfied.
- Time: 15 minutes
- Total: 7 hrs 35 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Diabetes Appropriate
- Healthy Aging
- Healthy Immunity
- Heart Healthy
- High Blood Pressure
- High Fiber
- Low Added Sugars
- Low Sodium
Ingredients for Slow-Cooker Chicken & White Bean Stew
- 1 pound dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight and drained (see Tip)
- 6 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 (4 ounce) Parmesan cheese rind plus 2/3 cup grated Parmesan, divided
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts (1 pound each)
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
How to make Slow-Cooker Chicken & White Bean Stew
- Combine beans, broth, onion, carrots, rosemary and Parmesan rind in a 6-quart slow cooker. Top with chicken. Cover and cook on Low until the beans and vegetables are tender, 7 to 8 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board; let stand until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Shred the chicken, discarding bones.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir in kale. Cover and cook on High until the kale is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper; discard the Parmesan rind. Serve the stew drizzled with oil and sprinkled with Parmesan and parsley.
Tips for Slow-Cooker Chicken & White Bean Stew
Tip: To save time, you can substitute 4 (15 ounce) cans no-salt-added cannellini beans (rinsed) for the soaked dried beans.
Equipment: 6-qt. slow cooker
Nutrition Facts for Slow-Cooker Chicken & White Bean Stew
Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups
493 calories; protein 44.2g; carbohydrates 53.8g; dietary fiber 27.4g; sugars 4.5g; fat 10.9g; saturated fat 3g; cholesterol 67.8mg; vitamin a iu 4792.5IU; vitamin c 20.3mg; folate 31.8mcg; calcium 198.7mg; iron 7.1mg; magnesium 148.9mg; potassium 1556.6mg; sodium 518.4mg.
4 1/2 lean protein, 2 starch, 1 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat protein