Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
The warm spices combined with the fruity, sweet flavors of butternut squash and golden raisins make this classic butter chicken more modern and flavorful. As if Butter Chicken needed to be more flavorful, this recipe is my go-to when the weather gets chilly.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated or finely minced
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 3 serrano or jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed fresh spinach
- Fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
- In a large skillet (or your stovetop-proof slow-cooker insert), heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken, cornstarch, salt and pepper to a large bowl. Toss to coat the chicken completely.
- Cooking in batches, add the chicken to the skillet and brown on all sides. Transfer to a plate, and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of fat, and add the onion to the pan. Cook until softened and then stir in the garlic. Cook for 1 minute longer. Transfer the chicken and onion mixture to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the turmeric, garam masala, cumin, cayenne pepper, tomato sauce, and ginger. Pour this mixture over the chicken mixture.
- Add the squash, raisins, chicken stock, cinnamon stick and peppers to the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 4 hours.
- 10 minutes prior to serving, stir in the half and half and spinach. Season to taste. Serve with rice and chopped cilantro, if desired.