- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hrs
- Total Time: 8 hrs 10 minutes
- Servings: 8 tacos
Barbacoa tacos are juicy, flavorful, and made easy with a slow cooker! Serve it up family style with toppings for the ultimate taco night.
Ingredients for Barbacoa Tacos
- 4 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into 3-inch chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 3-4 chipotles in adobo sauce, finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 3 bay leaves
- Diced onion
- Avocado slices
- Chopped cilantro
- Sour cream or cheese, optional
Instructions for Barbacoa Tacos
- Add all of the ingredients, except the bay leaves, to the bowl of a slow cooker.
- Use tongs to gently toss and mix it all together. Then add the bay leaves, and cover. Cook on low for 8-9 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours.
- The beef should be tender and fall apart easily when shredded with a fork. If it doesn’t shred easily, cook it a bit longer.
- Cooking beef barbacoa in a slow cooker.
- Remove the beef to a cutting board and use two forks to shred it.
- Shredding beef barbacoa on a cutting board.
- Place the shredded beef back in the slow cooker, give it a stir, and let it absorb the juices.
- Mixing beef barbacoa in a slow cooker.
- Use tongs to remove a serving of barbacoa from the slow cooker, top it on a tortilla, and garnish with diced onion, avocado, cilantro, and other toppings.
Nutrition in Barbacoa Tacos
Calories: 543kcal, Carbohydrates: 23g, Protein: 46g, Fat: 31g, Saturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Trans Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 156mg, Sodium: 1075mg, Potassium: 923mg, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 354IU, Vitamin C: 5mg, Calcium: 64mg, Iron: 6mg